Thursday, March 20, 2008

A busy yet fulfilling day

Today was one of the busiest days we’ve had here in Thailand thus far. We have hit the ¼ mark of this adventure. We have been here actually a full month. When I consider my experience here thus far, I am left remembering a lot amazing moments that have changed how I see the world and my role place within it. Moments where I’ve never felt more alive, and moments that I would like to never relive again. A month into it and a normalcy to my life has finally emerged. That brings a sense of relief but also a sense of sadness because the vacation has finally ended and the daily schedule has set in. It is also at points like this where I think of home and long for the continual contact with friends and family. I have come to appreciate home and the opportunities I’ve been given so much more. I’m sure that as my mother reads this she is thinking “Misty in homesick” and I want you to be convinced that all though I miss home very much, I feel that I have a lot more to experience here in Thailand. I have just come to be more appreciative and grateful for the experiences and people that have shaped who I am today. I’ve been really blessed with an awesome temporary family. Jodie, my partner is crime, my constant companion and supporter. The girl who has a huge heart for the children at mercy and is always willing to fight for things she believes in. A few other things I’ve learned about Jodie, she is hardly ever serious, she is always hungry, always ready for an adventure and has a mean sense of direction. Si Jie, has filled the role of big sister and third gang member. She is smart, talented, full of life and a veteran Mercy Centre volunteer who shares her wisdom with us everyday.

In the morning I taught my adult class and at 10:00 Jodie and I went to the Kindergarden. It was of the best experiences we’ve had here so far. The kids were so full of joy and we had their full attention every second that we were there. I brought my children’s cd and did a variety of English actions songs with the children. Like the chicken dance and the hokey pokey. They absolutely loved it, as did we. It was a really joyful moment and made me remember why I loved teaching. This type of teaching environment was the one that I envisioned in the first place and I am thrilled to finally get the chance to play and sing with the kindergarteners.

Read Jodie’s blog for more description about the school and our teaching workout.
http://www.jodieinthailand.blogspot.com
She is much more descriptive than I am.

After teaching the kindergarden class we walked back to Mercy where we had another new class of students. I am working with a little boy named Ford. He is 8 years old and the son of a staff member. I spent the hour reviewing the English words and concepts that he knew so I could figure where to go with him. I don’t think that he understood that I didn’t understand Thai. My puzzled looks did not give him the hint, he just kept talking. It was quite humorous to me.


Jodie just mentioned to me that today is the first day of spring. So I hope you are having a day full of sunshine. I highly doubt the flowers are full bloom, but I hope that the snow is melting rapidly.

I hope you all have a lovely and meaningful Easter weekend. It is not a holiday celebrated here in Thailand unfortunately but Jodie and I have plans to celebrate in our way. The plan is to attend mass here at Mercy Centre, maybe buy an ice cream cake to celebrate our one month Thailand anniversary/ Jesus death and resurrection. Other plans may include a trip to our beloved park, and a dress up, fancy dinner.

Happy Easter! Remember the reason for the holiday and have a relaxing long weekend.

Sending love from Thailand,
Misty

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Misty, the last few days have been eventful.... I love the story about the chicken dance becuase we acutally did that dance today with the vets. Evenlyn got a singing duck with that song( if thats the one) It reminds me of Dad and how he loves that song!!! too funny