Saturday, March 15, 2008

Dreaming of Snakes and Poop

March 15th

(Sorry no pictures this time. Posting here at an Internet cafe in Bangkok)

Jodie and I slept in for the first time in a long time. We finally got around to cleaning our room. It was quite disgusting! We then travelled to Siam square which is another massive shopping are. We are beginning to understand why Bangkok is a shopping mecca. There is both the Siam Discovery Centre which consists of hi so (high class) shopping. The kind of shopping that Jodie and I can’t afford and I would describe as museum shopping. The other was the MBK shopping centre which consisted of branded knock off’s. For lunch I ate some great Indian food and dreamed of eating pâté (sp?) everyday of my life instead of rice. As evening rolled around, Jodie and I went to a movie. We saw Step Up and it was actually pretty good. I mean I thought it was going to suck, so it definitely exceeded my expectations. I left just wanting to go dancing. RCA is definitely in our future plans.

Interesting fact, when buying movie tickets you have the choice of cheaper or more expensive tickets in relation to where you want to sit in the theatre. Also, after the commercials and previews run, just before the movie starts, everyone in the theatre must stand while a movie montage of the King plays. We’ve heard about this, but tonight was our first experience and I must say I loved the King too after I watched it.

It is hard to really understand the idolization of the King, and I can only try and describe to you his stature here in Thailand. There is a picture of the King in every building you enter. There are large billboards and pictures on large skyscrapers of the King. Similar to live strong bracelets, many people were “Long Live the King” bracelets. The anthem plays twice a day over speakers in the streets and you are expected to stop whatever you are doing and pay your respect. There are sections of the city where the architecture related to the King is designed in gold. All I have to say is that Queen Elizabeth has nothing on this guy!

EVEN BETTER THAILAND FACTS
Jodie just reminded about Thai dreams interpretations. Boong and Dew informed us yesterday that if you dream about poop then it means you are going to win the lottery. Boong backed it up by saying that she has personally experienced this. Dew also told us that if you dream about snakes than you will find your soul mate. Needless to say, Jodie and I went to bed dreaming of snakes and poop……..hahahah. And I think I’m going to end this post on that note.

Misty

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Oh, hahah to funny. I hope I dream of snakes and poop.