Thursday, March 6, 2008

My near death experience

Last night Jodie and I stayed late at the office teaching and chatting. So at about 9 we decided to take a taxi home. We were both already nervous because we had never been out so late here in Bangkok and all of the other Mercy staff had left. Eventually the security guard at Mercy helped us flag down a taxi. It was evident that the taxi driver didn't now where he was going, so the security spent more than 5 minutes explaining in Thai the directions to Soi 40. We proceeded to get in the car and shut the door. The moment I stepped into the car, a strong smell of alcohol sweeped over me. My heart started racing because I knew that he was quite intoxicated and the drivers here are already CRAZY! He began to speed through the streets and then proceeded to pull out in front of ongoing traffic, where we almost got hit by a large truck and 2 motorcycles. The large truck flashed his lights at us as he slammed his breaks on. It was at this point that my body froze and I started saying a little prayer in my head. I looked at Jodie and in the moment we looked at each other and shared a terrified glace. At one point we came to a stop light and the taxi drived proceeded to shift the emergency break on and took a drink of what appeared to be a water bottle, filled with water or alchol of which we are not sure. Throughout the drive he talked on his cell phone while swerving in and out of traffic recklessly. All I wanted to do was jump out of the car, but I couldn't. We finally arrived home, anxious and stunned. Once out of the car, I looked at Jodi and said, "I've never been so scared in my life" Jodie replied "I think I am going to throw up." A few minutes later she did.

The End

2 comments:

Chicken Nugget said...

Mitty, that sounds sooo scary! i'm glad you got home safe and sound!!!

Sending love from NS
Miss and love!
~Angela

Tiffany said...

misty, i finally got a new email. so i can post.
Love the blog read it everyday and now your can see.

that was a crazy thing that happen to you. I hope i don't hear to many more i might not come. kidding